Monday, May 27, 2013

Sydney renowned Chef Christine Manfield

 



I was shocked and saddened when I learned from the Australian Hospitality Magazine recently, [http://www.hospitalitymagazine.com.au]  that Sydney renowned celebrity Chef Christine Manfield is closing down her Sydney's Universal Restaurant in the suburb of Darlinghurst.

Industry in crisis, Manfield's farewell, offal on the menu; What the weekend papers said
picture from the hospitality magazine

I came to know Christine Manfield while at a book store in Sydney some years ago.  She is a colourful, vibrant and  a brilliant Chef I have ever met known.  This big colourful and unusual hard cover caught my attention that I just needed to own this book for myself.

I would loveeeee to attend Christine Manfield cooking classes at the Sydney Fish Market and while living in the Northern Beaches, she had classes at FoodStuff Mona Vale.  I seemed to have missed her classes..it was either I was late knowing about it, the class was full or even I was on waiting list!!!
 
 
Stir - Christine Manfield's cook book is real, wholesome, explosive of Asian local spices and flavoursome; well explained and easy to follow with many of my favourite and basic Asian recipes for example making Laksa Paste, Pickle and Jams, Satay and Curry Pastes.. .
 
Going through her hard covered book with the most beautiful lively pictures, it was as if I  could smell and taste her food..and I was literally droolllling.. tried to swollen my saliva at the book store ..And how could I not..
 
Moreover, I have never in my entire life reading such an experienced, well written and so authentic Asian recipe book which is so well covered by a Caucasian Female Chef [beside Niel Perry]..She has the most incredible knowledge of Oriental herbs and spices.
 
However, this is so good and so easy as I have tested this recipe many times and this is one of my favourites.. Sorrry for not having the picture of the dish. The Christine Mansfield's way 
 
 
Jumbo Prawns with Green Coconut Curry 
Serve 4
 
Ingredients:
 
250ml coconut cream
1 tablespoon Green Curry Paste
2 teaspoon fish sauce
200ml fish stock
16 raw jumbo prawns, shelled
1 cup Thai basil leaves, washed
150g small spinach leaves, washed
 
 Method:
 
1.  Heat coconut cream to simmering point, stir in green curry paste and fish sauce.
2.  Cook sauce for  10 minutes, add stock and bring to boil.
3.  Simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and, if necessary, adjust seasoning. 
4.  Add prawns to sauce and simmer on low heat for 3 - 4 minute, just long enough so prawns  changed colour without overcooked and tightening.
5.  Stir in basil and spinach leaves till they are wilted, served with stem rice. If you cannot find the small spinach leaves, try shreded iceberg salad..uhmmm.
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment